The sixth educational trip for ASEAN region, having door manufacturers visited the Sauerland factory in Gotha, Germany. The following days they toured the massive factory and witnessed the fire test of all 100 % engineered material door. It showed the most economical way to make the fire rated doors, lighter in weight with no additives or inorganic fillers. Later they visited two leading door factories. They saw that none of the door manufacturers use any flat pressed board as infill or filler board in door manufacturing due to its swelling property which can be a great disaster in life, durability and finishing of the door.
Sauerland started supplying in fill or the tubular filler boards to the ASEAN region's door industry in 2007 and has deeply impacted on the use of timber and has grown to using it in internal doors and main doors. Although ! the product is being used globally for over 65 years, and is being exported to over 90 countries. Approx. 100, 000 doors are being made daily somewhere in the world. The ASEAN region is yet decades behind in the specifications with timber infill whilst rest of the world is already manufacturing modern and eco-friendly doors.
The visit was of great learning experience and educative for several door manufacturers and their comments post visit are as follow:
The trip and the tour you had prepared for your factory and other door producing factory is very educational and the trip was excellent stated Mr. Chandrashekhar Arupula, Gayatri Doors Pvt Ltd
It was good to see your operations in Gotha, it gives us more in depth understanding about your company and operations which help us to understand to sell your products forward Mr. Inder Kochhar, Business Head, Doors Division, Greenlam Industries Ltd
Visit to Sauerland factory actually really make me more convincing to promote more doors. The technical information shared to us was also very informative. We have a better understanding of the Sauerland hollow core door core and its application. We hope to put some of this to good use in the near future Mr. Varun Dayaram, VK Enterprises, Shri Lanka
It was a great experience for us, understanding firsthand how the tubular core is produced and understanding its properties especially the fire and acoustic properties of the core. The visit to the two door factories further reinforced our knowledge of what we learnt at the Sauerland factory. Above all, your organization skills and attention for detail to make us comfortable, made our tour memorable Mr. Jitin Nambiar, Millenium Engineers and Contractors Ltd
Key improved properties in doors with tubular in fill are as follow:
1. Sound Insulation: Extruded tubular and solid boards offer a wide range of sound insulation results for light weight construction as well as high end solutions.
2. Fire Resistance: The board being produced by Extrusion method the particle direction is predominantly vertical to surface which in case of exposure to fire provide a low rate of burning. Sauerland offers full support for safe fire door constructions.
3. Construction: The density in solid areas i.e. walls of board is high 500 Kgs/m3 minimum. Further the arch principle as in case of construction of dams or bridges give high impact resistance.
4. Thickness Tolerance: Critical thickness tolerance of +/-0.1mm in the board gives rid of telegraphing as the board calibrated board gives a beautiful surface finish and a good bond between the skin and the board.
5. Weight Reduction: Tubular boards as an engineered product ideally suits light weight strategy, value feeling in handling the door and high technical performance.
6. Low Emission: All Sauerland products are E1 norm for formaldehyde emission. Lower levels are also possible against special production runs.
7. Straightness: The tubular structure also helps the door to maintain straightness under climatic variations.
8. PEFC/FSC Certified: Save the tree for reducing climate change. All our products are certified with PEFC. We can also cater FSC requirements.
9. Swelling in thickness: Almost zero thickness swelling in Sauerland board compared to flat pressed board/timber infill, ensures long life for door.